Oh hello!

I'm Meg. I make stuff.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Spiced Almonds

  





Heat a nonstick frying pan to medium heat.  Add one package of nuts and then sugar.  You can use more or less depending on what you're using these for.  For snacking nuts, I'd use a little more than a cup, for salad toppers I'd use maybe a half cup.  Stir constantly, as once the sugar starts to melt they can burn quickly.  It's ok if they're still a little chunky.  Pour them onto ungreased foil to cool and don't try one right away, even though you'll want to really bad.  Hot oil + hot sugar = super burned tongue.  Be careful!

Depending on use, you can add in different spices- for snacking holiday nuts (the ones I bring to Thanksgiving) I usually add cinnamon and nutmeg.  For salad ones, I like to add a little pepper.  These are also yummy with some of the white sugar substituted for brown sugar, but I'd suggest making them a few times with white sugar first, as the brown makes it harder to see when the sugar starts to caramelize and you might want to get the hang of the recipe first.

No comments:

Post a Comment