Oh hello!

I'm Meg. I make stuff.

Monday, September 16, 2013

Rainbowed-out headphones

Start with some simple headphones.  Anything will do!


Standard cheap headphones like you get at the airport when you forget to pack yours from home.

Get some Perler beads from Amazon or Michaels or something.  I used around 325 beads.  Also get an exacto knife.  Cut a slit through the side of each bead like this:

Safety first!  Wear goggles.  For added excitement, do this whole project balanced on the arm of a couch.  What was I thinking??  #couchfullofbeads



You've got to thread these onto the wire, but from the side.  Here is the good news, and what I figured out through trial and error:  you can use the plug itself as a wedge to hold the bead open while you thread it on.  Like this:

Just kind of jam it in there

Wedge the wire in that space
You did it!

Now do it 300 more times.
Just keep going forever.  I found the thinner wires that are near the upper part of the headphones where they split fit nicely with the beads, whereas the thicker part of the wire that connects to the device showed a little seam.
no seam showing
seam showing

                                       
but it didn't really bother me.  Here's the finished product, a few hours later:

I left a little space between the beads to allow for more flexibility.

                                       
A nice thing about beading your headphone wires is that they don't get tangled at all!  They do take up more space though, and attract more unicorns.

Because of the rainbows!!!  :D

No comments:

Post a Comment